On the 11th of September, the UK secured a free trade agreement with Japan, which is the UK’s first major trade deal as an independent trading nation and will increase trade with Japan by an estimated £15.2 billion. The UK and Japan have a long-shared history as free trading nations and this deal has given both countries an opportunity to deepen the partnership in a number of industry sectors including finance, digital trade, technology, manufacturing, food and drink. Against this background we are delighted to announce a partnership with The UK-Japan Free Trade Summit will take place on the 20th of January.
Where: Full Day Online Summit
When: 20th January, 2021
“This is a historic moment for the UK and Japan as our first major post-Brexit trade deal. The agreement we have negotiated – in record time and in challenging circumstances – goes far beyond the existing EU deal, as it secures new wins for British businesses in our great manufacturing, food and drink, and tech industries… Strategically, the deal is an important step towards joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership and placing Britain at the centre of a network of modern free trade agreements with like-minded friends and allies.”
Rt Hon Elizabeth Truss MP, Secretary of State and President of the Board of Trade
11 September 2020, London
Opened by The Rt Hon Elizabeth Truss MP, Secretary of State for International Trade, President of the Board of Trade and chaired by Sir David Wright GCMG LVO, Chair, TheCityUK Japan Market Advisory Group; Global Advisor, SMFJ and Former UK Ambassador to Japan, this high-profile conference will provide delegates with an in-depth understanding of the agreement’s key benefits as well as an analysis of the business opportunities in the key industry sectors, both in terms of export potential and direct investment.
Key topics include:
- What does trade between the UK and Japan look like at the moment and how has it been impacted by COVID-19? Which new benefits will the FTA bring to UK businesses (majors and SMEs), entrepreneurs and exporters? Successfully moving towards the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership
- Benefitting from the new Rules of Origin, tariff free access for more UK goods and strong tariff reductions for others
- Successfully building on the UK’s existing international obligations to ensure high standards. Protecting UK goods – new geographical indications (GIs). Meeting the UK’s commitments on diversity and inclusion, climate change, environmental protection, animal welfare and food standards. Dispute resolution
- How will the FTA impact the future of the UK financial services, professional and business services sectors? Increased transparency and streamlined application processes for licence applications. Eliminating barriers to cross-border trade and investment and effectively co-operating on reducing regulatory friction between two countries
- Supporting the free flow of data between Japan and UK whilst maintaining high standards of protection for personal data and maximising opportunities for digital trade across all sectors of the UK economy. Promoting innovation and growth of the UK firms operating in Japan. Ban on data localization. Approach to cybercrime
- Creating more opportunities in the manufacturing, food & drinks sector: increased market access, tariff reductions and tariff-free sectoral agreements, new protections, improved mobility for business people, standards and rules of origin
The interactive virtual format of this event will offer British and Japanese companies the opportunity to have a diverse and well-informed dialogue with senior officials from government agencies and industry leaders in both countries, as well as to network effectively using our new technology platform (see below)
City & Financial Global’s new virtual event technology platform will enable you to watch live keynote addresses and panel discussions on the main stage, visit sponsor booths in the exhibition room, and network with other delegates and speakers using the 1-to-one-1 live video meeting tool
This is a “must attend” event for:
Senior management of UK and Japanese companies of all sizes that are interested in learning more about the opportunities arising from the FTA, especially those in the financial, digital trade, technology, manufacturing and food & drinks sectors.
The summit will also be of interest to professional advisers, such as law and accountancy firms, embassies, trade organisations, chambers of commerce, government bodies and academia in the UK and Japan.
Photos & Gallery
WIRE: UK And Japan Sign Historic Free Trade Agreement View →
CEO Exclusive: How UKEF Is Supporting UK Businesses With Export Finance Throughout The Pandemic View →
PODCAST: Does Free Trade really work? The Good, Bad and Ugly of Trade View →
PODCAST: Podcast: The Transatlantic Trade Love Triangle View →
Comments are closed.